my taste

Top food blogs

Monday, April 29, 2013

Today Dishing: Color: What is it Good For?


 
Red takes the lead in this jungle inspired family room.
When asked, “What’s your favorite color?” how do you respond? For years I responded,"red” but for some time now I say”pink”. When looking at my living spaces, I see the colors my eye finds pleasing. And yes, red and pink come  into play.



I love color around me.  Granted some folks find my colors overwhelming but I am comforted by them. After entering my redecorated living room my sister said she felt like she was at the circus. Not exactly the look I was going for but at least it evoked a response. My use of color is too extreme for many, I know that.  The key is to find your comfort level with color and use it accordingly.
Red teams up with yellow in this mostly  yellow kitchen.
We’re in the pink in this dining room.

When it comes to decorating. I believe it’s important to remember that it is your house. You live in it. And your response to it and what’s in it, is the only one that matters. I do try to follow some basic decorating rules so as not to end up with a hodge-podge. But I choose to break some rules too.









If you wonder which colors are pleasing to you, look around. Even if you fear or don’t like color on your walls; furniture, window treatments, carpets, and area rugs  reveal your answer.

Colorful? yes.  But I love it.
Upon taking inventory of my home I find there is no blue, with the exception of my daughter’s room which she decorated. I don’t dislike blue but obviously it is not a color I am drawn to.




Pink takes a back seat to yellow in the living room.

Minimalists like shades of white, grays and subtle tones but even they use a throw pillow to add pops of color. Again remember, “To thine own self be true”. Your decorating should reflect you.





Okay now. What is your favorite color?

Coming soon: Colors in your closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment