my taste

Top food blogs

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Twice in One Week


Well to be totally accurate, twice in eight days. Two visits to Eddie Merlot's in Burr Ridge, in eight days. I am a lucky girl.

Last week I paid my third visit to this location.The two previous visits were with family and both marked a special occasion. This visit also marked the special occasion of my friend's birthday. Thus far Merlot's is, for me, a special occasion destination.  I would very much enjoy becoming a regular but the price tag prevents that.

On this evening our night began with a cocktail at the bar. After being entertained by Jim, the bartender, we moved into the stunning dining room for dinner. We began with appetizers.  The Thai shrimp consisting of sweet and spicy rock shrimp is a must try.  The sweet and spicy sauce does not over-power the shrimp but instead enhances the freshness of the tender shrimp.The portion is large enough to share and the unique presentation of the Thai Shrimp added to the overall enjoyment of this dish. The east coast oysters were delicate, fresh and delicious.
                                                     
We  both ordered the 6 ounce filet. The substantial steak knife is almost not required to slice these beauties. Our sides which are intended for sharing, were the Brussel sprouts with carmalized cippolini onions, and diced bacon and the parmesan truffle french fries. Honestly, we would have been totally pleased with a dinner consisting of just these two sides.

Sated but not uncomfortably so we opted for dessert. Our choice, Eddie's Mixed Berries are "prepared tableside in spectacular fashion". We enjoyed the circuses involved in the prep of this delightful finale.

Now Merlot's is open for lunch and just yesterday I happily enjoyed my first lunch there. Seated for the first time in the bar area the atmosphere is more relaxed than the dining room but extremely comfortable.

Geoff, our server guided us through the menu making recommendations of food and wine. During our entire visit Geoff could not have been more accommodating. He guided me to my selection  by showing me the salmon BLT before delivering one to another table. The homemade  potato chips with blue cheese dipping sauce are a decadently delicious side which you will not soon forget.

My friend, Marianne opted for the veggie flatbread of shaved Brussel sprouts, tomato, taleggio, basil and sea salt which was chocked full of flavor and creaminess.

As ladies who lunch we like to take our time and although we were the last lunch  customers we were never rushed or made to feel we over stayed our welcome.

Now that Merlot's is open for lunch, my wish can become reality. The lunch prices are in step with surrounding restaurants and for that reason this special occasion destination will be my frequent lunch destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment