my taste

Top food blogs

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Today Dishing: Birthday Letters

                                              
When my oldest child  (son) turned thirteen, I began the tradition of writing Birthday Letters to my children. The focus of the letters was to commend them on their accomplishments during the past year, then to address any shortcomings  while emphasizing expectations as well as challenges expected for the coming year.,

As the years passed the kids looked forward to their letters with impatient anticipation. To my knowledge each child still has most, if not all their letters.

Originally, I intended to write the letters through the teenage years but then extended the cut-off date to the age of 21. Letters are now written on benchmark birthdays. My son turned 30 this week and received a birthday letter.

These letters are just as important to me as they are to my children because they force me to stop and think and put into words my feelings about the exceptional talents and qualities  which characterize  each child. It was and is  a time each year to remind myself how lucky I am to be mom to that particular child. Some years it was really important and somewhat difficult to remind  myself how lucky I am.

The "parenting thing" doesn't end as the kids grow, it just changes. And like our kids, we learn as we grow. Writing the birthday letters, for me, is a bit of parenting of which I am proud.

Looking down the road, one day when I am no longer around my kids will still have those letters and my words to remind them that my love remains.

This year my husband turned the tables on the birthday letter by writing each child and  me individual letters on his birthday proving it's never too late to establish new traditions.





No comments:

Post a Comment