my taste

Top food blogs

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Today’s Dish: Search for Mother-of-the-Bride dress




Finding the Mother-of-the-Bride (MOTB) is no simple task.  If you’ve had this experience and found it easy, consider yourself lucky.
This is not my first time at this rodeo. The last time I employed the “buy a dress, but keep looking for something better” technique. Nothing better came along.  I was happy with my selection in that it coincided with the “all white wedding” theme and was comfortable.

This year I ask, “Where are the dresses?” Hopefully with the Oscars behind us a new crop of formal wear will soon appear. And could we get some dresses in color. Please! Thus far several dresses were possibilities but they all were black. I am determined not to wear black at my daughter’s wedding. That’s just a personal choice, not reflecting anything but my desire to wear color in June.
Dresses in color only exist on the runway.  Note to designers: the everyday woman would t enjoy color too. I must ask Lisa Vanderpump where she shops. Lisa, if you read this, give me a call.
 I guess it all comes down to how  do you see yourself on that day.  Of course part of me sees a svelte forty-five year old with toned arms, no wrinkles and flowing hair. Now back to reality. I am on the wedding diet, sixty-two year old, with wrinkles aplenty and hair usually in a ponytail. So there, that’s what I’m working with. And I can’t believe I’m alone in my frustration.
After visiting several bridal boutiques, I know why so many MOTB share the same matronly look. The long gown with the long sleeved boxy jacket made with cheap taffeta in muted colors. I blame no one for wearing this because that is what’s out there.
Designers need to understand that we old girls have the money and we’re willing to spend it to look good. So cough up some decent dresses that don’t add years and pounds.

I will continue my journey because I have no choice. Any tips on where to find great MOTB dresses are greatly appreciated.  Pass them along to me… PLEASE!
Naturally I will inform you of my decision and until then I will suck it in and try to keep a smile on my weathered face.

No comments:

Post a Comment