my taste

Top food blogs

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Today Dishing: Pots de Creme

These Sur la table espresso mugs solved my years long search for cute pots de creme vessels. Ramekins work just fine but lack the flair that pots de creme deserves.
                                                                             
Plenty of pots de creme recipes exist on the internet. I was intrigued when I found this recipe in my personal recipe box, written in my handwriting. I have no recollection of where or whom this came from but I tried it and the result was deliciously chocolatey. And the effort required was minimal.

 

POTS de CREME
makes 4-6 servings depending on the cups used.

2/3 cups semi-sweet chips (I used 54% dark chocolate cut into pieces)
1 cup half and half
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons rum
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat chocolate and half and half in a pot, stirring constantly until chocolate is melted.
Cool slightly.
Beat remaining ingredients together and gradually add to chocolate mixture.
Pour custard mixture into cups.
Place custard cups in a shallow roasting pan.
Pour hot water into the pan so it reaches halfway up the sides of the cups.
Bake until custards are almost set in centers, about 30 minutes.
Carefully remove cups from the hot water and let cool.
Cover cups with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Add whipped cream before serving.
A mint leaf and chocolate shavings top off the whipping cream for a delightful presentation.
                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment