my taste

Top food blogs

Friday, October 25, 2013

Today Dishing: Today is Giving Thanks Day

Seems we are all partial to certain holidays. My favorites are Halloween, Christmas and St. Patrick’s Day. The 4th of July was big for me at one time but not so much anymore.  Valentine’s Day, Easter, Memorial Day and Labor Day are fun but offer little  to excite me. But for some unknown reason the holiday I really can’t get into is Thanksgiving.

I know. What’s my problem? It makes me sound ungrateful, even un-American in that Thanksgiving is such a uniquely American holiday. For me it’s right up there with Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Sweetest Day and even Veteran’s Day. Aren’t we suppose to show our mother’s, father’s sweeties and Veterans appreciation everyday? Am I to give thanks only on Thanksgiving? I am confused.

I believe I am a thankful person. Years ago I received a piece of advice that stuck with me and now reveals my view on thankfulness. A gal I know told me that when she prays she doesn’t ask God for things, instead she thanks Him for things. She gives her thanks as they apply to her life in the present. Asking for things means we are looking for more instead of reminding ourselves of what we already possess. This advice changed my life.

For example, as I write this I am sitting next to a swimming pool on a sunny 80 degree day in Florida. For sure it is easy to be thankful for this especially when it’s 35 degrees at home. Believe me I have given thanks. I am grateful for this because it is beautiful and warm but more importantly because my son lives here and I get to visit him.

The routine of our everyday lives sometimes makes it difficult for us to see the elements  that make our lives extraordinary. There is nothing wrong with designating a day for the sole purpose of reminding us to inventory our lives and give thanks for all the blessings, but I can’t help thinking our lives and perhaps the world would be better served if gratitude and thanksgiving guided us each day. Maybe don’t wait until Thanksgiving to inventory the blessings. If you are like me,  the list of blessings will humble you and make you reluctant to feel worthy of asking for more.
Photo courtesy of google.
                        
So go ahead, eat that turkey and be grateful for it and all who gather with you to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment